Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a developmental disorder that effects communication and behavior effecting 1 in 59 children in the United States. Along with other challenges that children and adults with autism may face, nutrition challenges are prevalent, as many with ASD have food sensitivities, gastrointestinal issues and repetitive behaviors that might stymie their growth and development. April was Autism Awareness month so we thought it would be the perfect time (albeit a little late) to speak to Maureen Geraghty, Gina’s friend and colleague who’s knowledge of ASD, accompanying GI disorders and possible alternative medicine and therapies is extensive. Learn more by visiting the links in our show notes.
Patreon | Love what you’re hearing? Help fund ongoing episodes through donations as little as $1/month. Learn more here!
Leave a review | When you leave a five star iTunes review, it helps others with similar interests and passions find us when they’re looking for new content. Thank you in advance!
Resources and Show Notes
Dr. Geraghty’s References
- https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam- good concise definition of Complementary and Alternative Medicine for all medical disciplines.
- Geraghty, M, Bates-Wall J, Ratliff-Schaub K, Lane A: Nutritional Interventions and Therapies in Autism: A spectrum of what we know: Part 2. ICAN: Infant, Child & Adolescent Nutrition 2010;2:120. DOI:10.1177/1941406410366848.
- Jyonouchi H et al, J Pediatrics 2005;146:605.
- Jyonouchi H, Curr Allergy Asthma Rep; 2009 9;194-201
- Coury DL et al, Pediatrics 2012; 130 (suppl 2): 69-76
- Knivsberg, AM et al, Nutr Neurosci 2002;5(4):251-261.
- Elder JH, Nutr Clin Pract 2008;23:583.
- Millward C et al. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (2):CD003498, 2008.
- Hyman, S et al. (2010, May). Presented at IMFAR, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hediger,ML et al. J Autism Dev Disord (2008) 38:848-856.
- Geraghty et al. ICAN 2010, Part 1.
- Geraghty et al, JADA, 2010.
- Allessi Fasano’s advice regarding probiotics in autism: https://www.autismspeaks.org/expert-opinion/guidance-probiotics-0
- Nye C et al, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005; Issue4. Art No.: CD003497. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003497.pub2.
- Mousain-Bosc M et al, Magnesium Research 2006; 19(1);53-62.
- Bent, S Bertoglio K, Hendren RL, J Autism Dev Disord (2009) 39:1145-1154.
- Amminger GP et al, Biol Psychiatry 2007;61(4)551-3.
- Curtis L and Patel K, J Alternative and Complementary Med. 2008;14:1-7.
- James, SJ et al, Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 2006; 141B:947-956.
- James, SJ, Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 89;425-30.
- Melnyk, S et al. Autism Dev Disord. 2012 March; 42(3): 367–377
- Stewart, PA, Hyman SL, Schmidt BL et al: Dietary Supplementation in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Common, Insufficient, and Excessive. JAND 2015;115(8):1237-1248.
More about Dr. Fasano’s comments on Probiotics in Autism: https://www.autismspeaks.org/expert-opinion/guidance-probiotics-0
Resources for Determining Safety and Efficacy of a Supplement
Favorite New Recipes/Products
Slow Cooker Beer Salmon; Take four salmon fillets and marinade in 1-cup Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes. Add to slow cooker with a sliced red and yellow pepper (about 1 each pepper), 1 large onion (sliced), 1/2 tsp dried basil, 2 gloves garlic, and top with 2 cups raw spinach. Pour 3/4 cup amber ale on top and cook on high for 1.5 hours.